Friday, January 29, 2010

(mis)Interpreting the State of the Union Address (Part II)

The State of the Union
given by President Oprama
Weds. Jan. 27, 2010
What they said What I heard
So I know the anxieties that are out there right now. They’re
not new. These struggles are the reason I ran for president. These
struggles are what I’ve witnessed for years in places like Elkhart,
Ind., and Galesburg, Ill. I hear about them in the letters that I
read each night. The toughest to read are those written by children
asking why they have to move from their home, or when their mom or
dad will be able to go back to work.
So I know a lot o' folks're anxious right now 'n' that it ain't nothing new. I may not have personal experience o' this, since I went to high priced private schools 'n' fancy colleges, but I've read 'bout it in letters I've received. I've heard 'bout it 'n' seen it in the lives o' other folks when I was helping 'em out in Chicago. That's why I got into politics, so I could help folks out. You ain't got to experience these fears 'n' anxieties yourself to want to help other folks who have experienced 'em first hand. 'N' that's why I ran fer President, to try 'n' help even more folks out.
For these Americans and so many others, change has not come fast
enough. Some are frustrated; some are angry. They don’t understand
why it seems like bad behavior on Wall Street is rewarded but hard
work on Main Street isn’t, or why Washington has been unable or
unwilling to solve any of our problems. They are tired of the
partisanship and the shouting and the pettiness. They know we can’t
afford it. Not now.
Fer these folks I'm talking 'bout, 'n' fer lots others, things ain't changing fast enough. They's frustrated 'n' angry. They don't understand why we's th'owing money at the folks on Wall Street, 'specially when the folks on Wall Street continued to destroy the economy even after we gave 'em the ransom they was asking fer, 'n' not doing nothing fer folks on Main Street who need, 'n' would apreciate it, more. 'N' folks don't understand why Washington, 'n' by "Washington" I mean the Republicans, seem unable 'n' unwilling to fix the problems. They's tired o' the Republicans' shouting 'n' pettiness 'n' want an end to partisanship. ('N' by partisanship, I mean the fact that the Republicans insist on not agreeing with us Democrats on anything, not the fact that we Democrats refuse to agree with the Republicans on anything.
So we face big and difficult challenges. And what the American
people hope what they deserve is for all of us, Democrats and
Republicans, to work through our differences, to overcome the
numbing weight of our politics. For while the people who sent us
here have different backgrounds, different stories and different
beliefs, the anxieties they face are the same. The aspirations they
hold are shared: a job that pays the bills, a chance to get ahead.
Most of all, the ability to give their children a better life.
That's the challenge. That's what the American folks're hoping for. They want Democrats 'n' Republicans to get past our diff'rences 'n' move beyond our politics. That's what we want, to. We want the Republicans to just hush up 'n' agree that we's right all the time, ever' time. Don't matter who you are, the anxieties you face 'n' the aspirations you have are the same, no matter what your personal differences are.
You know what else they share? They share a stubborn resilience
in the face of adversity. After one of the most difficult years in
our history, they remain busy building cars and teaching kids,
starting businesses and going back to school. They’re coaching
Little League and helping their neighbors. As one woman wrote me,
“We are strained but hopeful, struggling but encouraged.”
Want to know something else they share? Don't matter if you want to know er not, 'cause I'm going to tell you anyway. They's stubborn. No matter how difficult things get, they's just going to keep right on doing what they're doing. I'll even quote from another letter to back up that point.
It is because of this spirit, this great decency and great
strength that I have never been more hopeful about America’s future
than I am tonight. Despite our hardships, our union is strong. We
do not give up. We do not quit. We do not allow fear or division to
break our spirit. In this new decade, it’s time the American people
get a government that matches their decency, that embodies their
strength.
It's 'cause o' this stubborness that I am so hopeful I can help improve America's future. Like the reg'lar folks of America, I ain't no quitter. I ain't going to 'low fear ner division to break my spirit. It's time folks had a new gov'ment that's just as stubborn 'n' decent 'n' strong as they are. 'N' I'm stubborn enough to try 'n' give 'em that kind o' gov'ment, whether folks want me to er not.

No comments: